Threadripper vs Epyc – what’s the distinction? Although only some years in the past, AMD appeared to have been relegated to the discount bin, they now have two glorious choices for prime demand workstation customers, HEDTs, and HPCs. For these customers, which is the only option?
Ryzen Threadripper Professionals
With as much as 64 complete processing cores, Threadripper is primarily positioned as a workstation platform, greatest fitted to excessive demand purposes like video, skilled VFX, and rendering. A few of the advantages embrace:
- Core Frequency – In contrast to most excessive core rely processors, Threadripper runs a single core Enhance velocity of 4.3-4.5GHz vs round 3.2 for Epyc. This offers it the benefit in each closely threaded purposes like Media & Leisure, but in addition single threaded purposes like CAD and structure.
- Official Home windows Assist – Since Epyc is primarily a datacenter platform, you’ll sometimes discover suitable motherboards with out official Home windows 10 help. That’s to not say you’ll be able to’t run Home windows desktop model on an Epyc workstation – we’ve been doing it for years on our HD360A – however slightly it takes some further knowhow to correctly set up working drivers. Since Threadripper is a desktop platform with full Home windows driver help, it is not going to require any further information.
AMD Epyc Professionals
Epyc is especially often called a server platform, however due to its excessive core rely, scalability, and general larger I/O bandwidth, we’re seeing many customers operating purposes like Machine Studying and scientific simulations flip to the platform. Listed below are a few of these key advantages for that person:
- RAM Density/Channels – Most single socket Epyc motherboards will help as much as 2TB of RAM in 8 channels, vs. 256GB in 4 channels with Threadripper. Although the intense majority of customers won’t ever want 256GB+, that’s an enormous profit for those who do.
- ECC Assist – The Threadripper structure does help ECC memory, however TRX40 chipset doesn’t, so till a chipset refresh is accessible, Epyc (and Threadripper PRO) are the one AMD choices for full ECC help.
- Scalability/Core Rely –Threadripper helps solely a single socket, however most Epycs help twin CPU configurations, doubling the variety of potential cores to 128 and threads to 256 in addition to growing PCIe lanes and I/O capability. This degree of scalability is essential for probably the most CPU intensive purposes or simulations.
- Safety – AMD’s trade main Infinity Guard is a collection of safety features that present an additional degree of encryption that Threadripper doesn’t.
What about WRX80 Threadripper PRO
AMD’s Threadripper PRO with WRX80 chipset is the most recent product on this class, which in some methods combines one of the best of TRX40 Threadripper and Epyc. From a efficiency standpoint, Threadripper PRO aligns carefully with customary Threadripper with related core counts and frequencies but in addition provides the ECC help, further RAM capability, and safety features that Epyc gives.
Threadripper vs Epyc – Which Ought to Professionals Use?
The reply will depend on the particular use case. Epyc’s effectivity and scalability together with AMD’s Infinity Guard safety features make it a greater match for servers than most workstation purposes. Most often, Threadripper, with its larger core frequency and official Home windows 10 help, is greatest for conventional workstation customers and purposes.
That’s to not say that some skilled workstation customers gained’t see particular advantages with Epyc over Threadripper and even Threadripper Professional although. For customers on the lookout for excessive RAM density options of 256GB+ which might be extremely threaded sufficient to learn from greater than 128 threads – purposes like Design and Simulation, Machine Studying, Climate, Analysis/Academia, and Computational Fluid Dynamics – there could also be sufficient efficiency profit to outweigh the extra expense of Epyc. However for all different workstation customers within the Media & Leisure, Structure, Engineering & Design, or related verticals, Threadripper simply has too many advantages to disregard.
Configure our AMD Threadripper Workstation HD80A now!
Josh has been with Velocity Micro since 2007 in varied Advertising and marketing, PR, and Gross sales associated roles. Because the Director of Gross sales & Advertising and marketing, he’s chargeable for all Direct and Retail gross sales in addition to Advertising and marketing actions. He enjoys Seinfeld reruns, the Atlanta Braves, and Beatles songs written by John, Paul, or George. Sorry, Ringo.